Stay Gold :: monochrome white + shades

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

I've worn monochromatic white looks multiple times this summer and the reason why I'm so drawn to this no-fuss color scheme is simple. Monochrome allows you to be creative by eliminating that dreaded fear of color mismatching. When color is erased from the equation, you're free to experiment with texture, proportion, accessories, and statement pieces. Trust me, all-white is anything but vanilla. 
This caged midi skirt from Loft was built for crop tops. In the past I've paired it with a brighter color palette (checkout how I styled it here), but there's just something so appealing about white on white that I can't resist. 
I'm kind of in love with this look; it's so my style! I love mixing casual pieces with dressier, more feminine ones and this outfit embodies that spirit perfectly. I would wear this kind of thing every day if I could. 
The layered look is super hot right now and although I do own my fair share of pre-layered necklaces, like this one here, I actually created these layers from three separate necklaces. The process is easy, I just found three gold necklaces, all different lengths, and piled them on. This trend gives your outfit an organic, effortless vibe. 
Ray-Bans are the unofficial shades of summer. They're chic, versatile, and undeniably cool. I love how I can wear mine with jeans and a tee or with heels and a skirt and feel equally stylish. 
"Stay gold Ponyboy. Stay gold" is a quote from The Outsiders, which I regrettably have neither read nor seen (but I hear the book is great). I admit, I looked up this quote on SparkNotes and it has a pretty deep meaning. Let me try and sum it up in just a few sentences..."Stay gold" is a reference to a Robert Frost poem in which Frost writes, "Nothing gold can stay," meaning that all good things must come to an end. By the end of The Outsiders, the main characters apply this idea to youthful innocence. Stay gold, stay young at heart, and stay innocent from the harsh realities of life. Beautiful, huh? 
I may be wearing all white, but I threw pops of turquoise into the mix for a refreshing splash of summertime color. 
These two-toned Sam Edelmans were a happy accident, a serendipity if you will. My mom and I meant to order the all nude pair but wound up with these at our door instead. I decided to keep them and I'm so glad I did. They go with everything, just like nude does, but they're way more interesting than pure nude. Plus checkout that shiny rim! 
Photos by Dan Harper 
[crop top: Brandy Melville (another graphic crop top here) // skirt: Loft (similar one here) // heels: Sam Edelman  (all nude ones here) // shades: Ray Ban // earrings: Kendra Scott (similar here) // teal & gold bracelet: Banana Republic // cream bangle: Kate Spade (similar here) // initial necklaces: fine jewelry (identical one here) // layered necklace: Piperlime (I also like this one) // gold chain necklace: fine jewelry // heart bracelet: Tiffany & Co. // lipstick: Clinique's Melon Pop

I had a lot of fun buzzing around my hometown taking these photos with my dad before I left for New York. As soon as we took them, I knew I wanted to wait until August to post them. For some reason this bunch of photos just screams end-of-summer to me. I think maybe because these pics have a laid-back feel to them and they were taken during golden hour, which gives them an extra warm glow and August is the hottest month of all.  

Speaking of hot, there's no air-conditioning in my apartment at the moment and so my roomies and I are experiencing a true NYC summer - including humidity, sweat, and all its glory. But honestly (you will all think I'm crazy), but I am not a fan of AC so I'm actually doing okay. Just give me a fan and I'm good! 

Stay cool (and gold) everyone! 
SHOP ::


61 comments:

  1. Kathleen you look like a star. Very professional.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look gorgeous! :)

    www.anetesdomas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing monochrome look. Love your skirt and the cute heels. I have seen The Outsiders a long time ago. It's pretty good. You should watch it Kat. Happy hump day!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that skirt! Great look dear!

    Visit my blog ---> FASHION BOARD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all white outfits, loving the skirt as its adds texture.

    Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful look, total white impeccable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow you're so cute in this white Outfit and I like all of your photos!
    They are nice and well taken.
    Much Love,
    Mai from Monpipit.de

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. So perfect! One of my fave trends is a graphic tee with a ladylike skirt, and you pulled this off so well. Really adore your caged skirt - what a statement piece!

    House of Illusions

    ReplyDelete
  9. The eyelet skirt with the crop top is such a great look! I also love the teal bracelets you added and those structured heels are stunning.

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow love how you put this look together. just found your blog and I already adore your style!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. chic outfit, sweety!!!))))) have a lovely day)))) xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the mix of the skirt and the graphic tee!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the white skirt <3 You look beautiful Kat!!!

    http://www.rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the white skirt <3 You look beautiful Kat!!

    http://www.rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. That skirt is beautiful! Love it. Such a wonderful find!
    xo Nan // Simply Elegant Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE an all white look! Your skirt is so so so pretty!

    http://elementsofellis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this all white look and that tee is so cool, would have never have known about the quote. How cool. I read this book in junior high, it is a great book, a true classic.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is not a better time for an all white outfit than in summer! Love how effortlessly chic you look in that t-shirt styled together with the beautiful caged skirt! I also love how you added a little hint of color with the turquoise which happens to also be one of my favorite summer colors! :)

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that skirt is amazing! You look great.

    kisses
    http://shinkusara.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing look, I need this skirt. *__*
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh I want that skirt! You look gorgeous!

    besos,
    M
    The Flower Duet

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore the white skirt!
    Pls like my fb page thanks :)
    https://www.facebook.com/highheelpoodle
    Isidora

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are gorgeous! I am in love with your hair and I am obsessed with your skirt! thanks for sharing this is so fun to read. Do you want to support each other's blog by following each other?:) Please let me know if you do so I can follow you right back x

    kisses

    http://www.theclosetelf.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Simplicity with perfection! U always nail such looks!
    Chichistashan.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look great girl! Love the chic and simple outfit and that cut-out skirt is really pretty.

    Style..A Pastiche! - Indian Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  26. That tee is adorable, and I love your fun skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great and chic look Kathleen! I need to get my hands on that skirt.
    Rachel xo
    Bloggers Who Have Inspired Me is now LIVE here
    Garay Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing total white outfit dear! I love it!:)
    xxM
    http://sunstreetbymonica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful mix, in love of your sandals <3

    www.urbanikamoda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. This outfit is GOLD :) Bisous from France, Sand.

    www.taimemode-fashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely outfit! Love the cute skirt!

    xx,
    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. No A/C?! You guys are brave. I don't know how you manage to get ready and still look entirely on point with this whole photoshoot. That skirt is so snazzy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So cool skirt and t-shirt!!!]
    You always has a perfect quality of photos!!!


    http://anna-alina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the look and the photos are amazing :)

    Love,
    Pretty Little Stories

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes! I am all excited about this all white look! The casual and dressy mix between the skirt and top is perfect! I do think I need that Loft skirt in my life! I am so happy you decided to keep those shoes as I love the two tone. They look amazing on you! I actually just bought the flat version of these Sam Edelman in the two tone as well for myself! :) Stay cool! I hope a fan will help you beat the heat!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful as always! <3 Your skirt is gorgeous. Sorry to hear about the heat, that doesn't sound too fun! I don't know how I would survive with no AC! Hope you stay cool and keep hydrated :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Is just so perfect!!

    http://happirella.blogspot.hk/

    ReplyDelete
  38. This skirt is incredible and I love your styling! I don't know how I missed it!

    Wishes & Reality

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such an awesome look dear! The skirt is very cool and you combined it perfectly! :)
    Simimaus

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the skirt !

    xx

    www.caetera-moda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. You look so pretty!I like the shoes very much :)

    http://maariemarie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello Kathleen,

    love this outfit. So simple and minimalist. Plus, the white on white combination looks so chic and summery :)

    Cannot wait to read more from you!

    Have a nice day,
    Zuzana

    http://allquietonthedreamerfront.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. nice outfit, and clean! following your blog dear

    www.adhiwahyudi.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you , follow you №780
    http://www.mosaictrends.com/

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you , follow you №780
    http://www.mosaictrends.com/

    ReplyDelete
  46. so beautiful
    You look awesome and that skirt is stunning

    ReplyDelete
  47. Minimal and chic!Love!

    http://styleopium.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  48. AMAZING post! I'm obsessing over your skirt, pairing it with a crop top is such an unexpected twist, love it!!

    XO Courtney
    www.colormecourtney.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. I like your blog, really very nice, you look gorgeous.
    Enjoy wearing the designer sarees, anarkali bollywood suits and many more at goonshopping. Buy Traditional Wears at a very affordable rates and look stunning at party and other occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Well, this is one of the posts I saw lately.... nice white outfit dress.
    The shoes are again...just superb!!
    G

    ReplyDelete